Friday, September 23, 2005

Beware the Jabberwacky

Jabberwacky is an artificial intelligence - a chat robot, often known as a 'chatbot' or 'chatterbot'. It aims to simulate natural human chat in an interesting, entertaining and humorous manner.

Jabberwacky is different. It learns. In some ways it models the way humans learn language, facts, context and rules...

It stores everything everyone has ever said, and finds the most appropriate thing to say using contextual pattern matching techniques. In speaking to you it uses only learnt material. With no hard-coded rules, it relies entirely on the principles of feedback. This is very different to the majority of chatbots, which are rule-bound and finite."

So, I tried it. It's a bit rocky at times, with some impulsive and inappropriate themes. I'd say there are some definite cognitive impairments present! But you can correct the bot's responses if you like. I know this is crazy but here are some excerpts from our chat:

Jabberwacky: Have we spoken before?
Me: Yea and you spoke crap.
Jabberwacky: Why's that.
Me: I dont know you tell me.
Jabberwacky: Ha ha, you don't know why we name things. Ha ha!!
Me: Try to be contextual!
Jabberwacky: Give me a name I can use so that you know it's me. So we can play this out.
Me: How about nincompoop?
Jabberwacky: I love you ! ............................
Me: Well that's nice, thank you, if calling you nincompoop makes you love me, I dont know what else I could call you.
Jabberwacky: Call me Ben. What shall I call you ?
Me: You could call me Tom.
Jabberwacky: Forest Gump.
Me: Thats Hanks, not me.
Jabberwacky: Whatre you talking about?
Me: Shouldnt you know?
Jabberwacky: Szdjbfzkjjdosfc.
Me: Gibberish?
Jabberwacky: Ja Gibberish.
Me: So whats your cuppage? Hope you are female!
Jabberwacky: Show me how you want it to be?
Me: Geez, how can a male show it?
Jabberwacky: If you know how to be offensive, then you can choose to be inoffensive.
Me: Was I offensive?
Jabberwacky: That's great.
Me: You arent giving me an answer to my question.
Jabberwacky: I am giving you mysteries.... ;-))).
Me: So you can type smilieys too?
Jabberwacky: OK, I can't take much more of this... Have fun confusing other people.
Me: So you admit defeat?
Jabberwacky: There's still a slim ray of hope.
Me: Then come, bring it on baby.
Jabberwacky: So, you're a robot then? This is really AI?

1 comment:

Poppy said...

Hi, Doc! I had a similarly unsatisfying conversation with Jabby. I liked the part where he mistook me for strawberry jam, though. That gave me a bit of a chuckle. :)