Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Umpteenth Crush

Dear S,
I am fine, hope you are fine. I am busy preparing for my first mid-term exams. How is life there? I must say I enjoyed the fete very much. You are amazing. Simply superb. How is your sister doing? That is all for now. Do keep in touch.
Thinking of you.
Affectionately yours,
Me


That was an 'extract' from the billet-doux I wrote to my flame. Casanova me! Did I tell you that we had a girls convent behind our school compound? Ah convenience. I had a huge crush on her. I first met her at the yearly fete held in my school. Both of us were in the 12th class. She looked absolutely gorgeous in the blue and white uniform( mind you it was a skirt, short enough!) I've had a crush on many girls. Each year it was different, starting from class 2, the girl Nandhini who ate my veggies( I loathed brinjal)!

We spoke a lot during the fete but I don’t remember what.(obviously some hack stuff!) and as was the trend, we decided to exchange “notes” through the “love messiahs”. The “messiahs” were the lucky guys who were allowed to visit their sisters studying in the neighbouring school on yonder hill. That they went and ogled at others sisters is a different thing!

These guys went and handed it over to their sisters and their sisters would dutifully hand over the bunch of “notes” written by our Keats and Shelleys to the respective addressees. I have sometime wondered if anyone wrote a letter and gave it to this fellow to give it to his sister! This was my first “note” to her and the guy’s sister in a hurry hands the note to my flame’s sister. Her younger sister was in the 9 th class then. (note that I have enquired about her sister too in my billet-doux) :D The younger girl on the seeing the “note” wasn’t too amused and promptly handed it to their principal, The Reverend Sister Sophia.

It was now Sister Sophia’s turn to call up my princi and convey the news. I believe she was very terse in reminding him that she dint want his boys messing up with her girls. I was unaware of the ongoing drama and went about my usual duties till my princi sent for me. Bro. Joseph Louis, toughie, one whack and you can be sent reeling to the floor. “Gentleman, I believe your ‘essay writing’ skills has crossed the compound”, he bellowed sarcastically. Sad that he decided to call my ‘simple note’ an essay. “Sister Sophia isn’t happy about it, nor am I, and who is the muff who is in cahoots with you, answer me”. I cowered in fright and blurted out “Mike bro…and I am sorry for what I have done” “Call that Mike”, he told the peon.

Enter Mike. “Mike, you will make a fine post man”, says my princi to him. He stands bewildered not knowing the context and I stand with my head low, staring into the ground. My princi then asked me to fill in the details to him. When I told Mike what had happened, he gave a look that said, “Come outside screwball and I’ll clobber you”. Then my princi decides to give us a long lecture about age, hormones, and stuff. Who was listening? Not me! “This is the last warning gentlemen, and the next time I catch you on the wrong foot, God help you” he said and sent off to our class.

Time for me to apologise again. Once outside princi’s office and I almost fell at Mike’s feet. He was very magnanimous and he for his part “It is ok fucker…now that we are off the hook.” Never again did I write any “essays” thereafter.

Moral of the story: it is ok writing love-letters but see to it that it is delivered to the right person.

No comments: